Friday, January 1, 2010

18-15

#18 The Killers- Hot Fuss
There was a time when I thought the Killers were cool. Before Sam's Town and their ode to Joy Division (whom 90% of people have never heard of). Back before guitar hero and rock band. Back before the Killers were popular they seemed a whole lot cooler. Still though this is a great album. The first song that brought me to the Killers was All These Things I've Done. The music video where Brandon Flowers ends up face down in the mud with I've got got soul but I'm not a solider blaring in the background. That is why I like this album.


#17 Matt and Kim- Grand
This is possibly one of the most upbeat albums created to date. I saw Matt and Kim at outside lands over the summer and that may have swayed my viewpoint on the album. They were great live, they played the final countdown. There is no song on this album that I don't like. "Me and Kim, instead of getting health insurance this year, decided to get a T-shirt gun." (crowd go crazy)





#16 Iron and Wine- The Shepherds Dog
I remember I first heard about Iron and Wine when I googled good music to fall asleep to. And that is exactly what this is. Perfect music to take a nap to. In most cases I prefer lo-fi to high production albums, but I think lots of production actually worked well with Sam Beam. He keeps the earthy quality that is what I like most about him. I picked this Iron and Wine album specifically because I feel that it is his most diverse and ambitious album. "White tooth" is reminiscent of George Harrison's Within You, Without You and Tomorrow Never Knows. "House by the Sea" feels nautical and reminds me of something that would be on We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank.

#15 Wolfmother- Wolfmother
This album is the most classic rock album since classic rock. Wolfmother may be overused in video games, but it is still fine by me. Andrew Stockdale has a voice that rivals Robert Plant's. I watched 500 days of summer yesterday and I was pleased to hear Vagabond in the soundtrack. Pitchfork wrote "The obnoxious three-and-a-half-minute garage-punk blast "Apple Tree" features the album's most uninspired songwriting and laziest delivery." I happen to really like Apple Tree, and if you are able to tell so well what is inspired and uninspired maybe you should be doing something besides writing music reviews. kthx. I don't like pitchfork, but I like this album.

1 comment:

  1. grand is not good. I haven't listened to it, but I decided I don't like it. and only the second half of the shepherd's dog is good. you can skip the first 5 or so songs.

    ReplyDelete